Reply
Super Contributor
Posts: 68,648
Registered: ‎08-23-2001

Anybody here doing BLOWIN' SMOKE?

It has potential if you knock some of of the glitz off of it and rough it up a little.

tlbonehead@yahoo.com

www.myspace.com/tbone_tommy

-For Sale:

-set of GFS Dream 90s- gold and black pearl- $40 shipped in the cont. US

-(2) Celestion G12M-70 16 ohm guitar speakers in good condition $40 ea. + shipping.

- Vox VT15 Valvetronix very clean - $85 + shipping
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
Posts: 68,648
Registered: ‎08-23-2001

Re: Anybody here doing BLOWIN' SMOKE?

 

here it is case there is ANYONE here who still has escaped hearing it.

tlbonehead@yahoo.com

www.myspace.com/tbone_tommy

-For Sale:

-set of GFS Dream 90s- gold and black pearl- $40 shipped in the cont. US

-(2) Celestion G12M-70 16 ohm guitar speakers in good condition $40 ea. + shipping.

- Vox VT15 Valvetronix very clean - $85 + shipping
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
Posts: 1,341
Registered: ‎12-28-2006

Re: Anybody here doing BLOWIN' SMOKE?

[ Edited ]

When do you think this tune will take off? Haven't heard about it around my parts. Cool song, would be really easy to work up and try. 

 

edit: she was on Ellen recently, noticed that means something usually haha

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
Posts: 68,648
Registered: ‎08-23-2001

Re: Anybody here doing BLOWIN' SMOKE?

On my trip down to Tennessee last week I must have heard it a dozen times on different stations.

tlbonehead@yahoo.com

www.myspace.com/tbone_tommy

-For Sale:

-set of GFS Dream 90s- gold and black pearl- $40 shipped in the cont. US

-(2) Celestion G12M-70 16 ohm guitar speakers in good condition $40 ea. + shipping.

- Vox VT15 Valvetronix very clean - $85 + shipping
Please use plain text.
Respected Contributor
guido61
Posts: 34,017
Registered: ‎12-09-2001

Re: Anybody here doing BLOWIN' SMOKE?


joshmac wrote:

When do you think this tune will take off? Haven't heard about it around my parts.


I've somehow managed to escape hearing it as well.   Seems it is sitting at #49 on the Billboard County Songs chart after reaching #48 last week.   But it's still pretty new, so it might still catch fire.

--David
FOR SALE: DBX Driverack PX; DBX 231 EQ; Behringer Racktuner; Alesis D4 drum module; Line 6 Pod Pro rackmount.

Band website: http://www.JumpStartYourParty.com

https://www.facebook.com/JumpStartYourParty

http://www.gigmasters.com/Rock/Jump-Start/

Stage gear: Korg Kronos, Yamaha Motif, M-Audio Venom, Neo Ventilator, Digitech GSP-1101, Fender Stratocaster, Takamine Eg544SC, Samson SM10 line mixer, Alesis Picoverb, Samson Airline 77 Wireless, APC Smart-UPS SC 450VA
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
Posts: 3,876
Registered: ‎03-12-2006

Re: Anybody here doing BLOWIN' SMOKE?

 I like it. Her songs are kind of depressing. Her first single was good too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJjeWDvh6J0 She has a one page write-up in the latest issue of Rolling Stone.

Please use plain text.
Respected Contributor
guido61
Posts: 34,017
Registered: ‎12-09-2001

Re: Anybody here doing BLOWIN' SMOKE?


modulusman wrote:

 I like it. Her songs are kind of depressing. Her first single was good too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJjeWDvh6J0 She has a one page write-up in the latest issue of Rolling Stone.


That's a really good song.  Hard to see it being much of a "live band" song though.   Would be a good solo-chick-with-a-guitar coffee house type thing.

--David
FOR SALE: DBX Driverack PX; DBX 231 EQ; Behringer Racktuner; Alesis D4 drum module; Line 6 Pod Pro rackmount.

Band website: http://www.JumpStartYourParty.com

https://www.facebook.com/JumpStartYourParty

http://www.gigmasters.com/Rock/Jump-Start/

Stage gear: Korg Kronos, Yamaha Motif, M-Audio Venom, Neo Ventilator, Digitech GSP-1101, Fender Stratocaster, Takamine Eg544SC, Samson SM10 line mixer, Alesis Picoverb, Samson Airline 77 Wireless, APC Smart-UPS SC 450VA
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
Posts: 68,648
Registered: ‎08-23-2001

Re: Anybody here doing BLOWIN' SMOKE?


guido61 wrote:

modulusman wrote:

 I like it. Her songs are kind of depressing. Her first single was good too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJjeWDvh6J0 She has a one page write-up in the latest issue of Rolling Stone.


That's a really good song.  Hard to see it being much of a "live band" song though.   Would be a good solo-chick-with-a-guitar coffee house type thing.


also it isn't exactly rare for a band member to do a solo song or two during the night. We usually fit them in  after a break leading into the next set.

tlbonehead@yahoo.com

www.myspace.com/tbone_tommy

-For Sale:

-set of GFS Dream 90s- gold and black pearl- $40 shipped in the cont. US

-(2) Celestion G12M-70 16 ohm guitar speakers in good condition $40 ea. + shipping.

- Vox VT15 Valvetronix very clean - $85 + shipping
Please use plain text.
Respected Contributor
guido61
Posts: 34,017
Registered: ‎12-09-2001

Re: Anybody here doing BLOWIN' SMOKE?


tlbonehead wrote:

also it isn't exactly rare for a band member to do a solo song or two during the night. We usually fit them in  after a break leading into the next set.



Yep, that can be very cool.   I really like this girls' songs.  I think she's an awesome lyricist.  Although overall, the "Blowin' Smoke" song is a bit 'meh' for me.  But the lyrics are still awesome.

As somebody else noted though, her stuff all seems a bit depressing.   So, that probably limits the venues/crowds it would really work for to a certain degree.

--David
FOR SALE: DBX Driverack PX; DBX 231 EQ; Behringer Racktuner; Alesis D4 drum module; Line 6 Pod Pro rackmount.

Band website: http://www.JumpStartYourParty.com

https://www.facebook.com/JumpStartYourParty

http://www.gigmasters.com/Rock/Jump-Start/

Stage gear: Korg Kronos, Yamaha Motif, M-Audio Venom, Neo Ventilator, Digitech GSP-1101, Fender Stratocaster, Takamine Eg544SC, Samson SM10 line mixer, Alesis Picoverb, Samson Airline 77 Wireless, APC Smart-UPS SC 450VA
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
Posts: 68,648
Registered: ‎08-23-2001

Re: Anybody here doing BLOWIN' SMOKE?


guido61 wrote:

tlbonehead wrote:

also it isn't exactly rare for a band member to do a solo song or two during the night. We usually fit them in  after a break leading into the next set.



Yep, that can be very cool.   I really like this girls' songs.  I think she's an awesome lyricist.  Although overall, the "Blowin' Smoke" song is a bit 'meh' for me.  But the lyrics are still awesome.

As somebody else noted though, her stuff all seems a bit depressing.   So, that probably limits the venues/crowds it would really work for to a certain degree.


on one hand it limits possibly, on another, it opens doors for venues that cater more in that direction.

tlbonehead@yahoo.com

www.myspace.com/tbone_tommy

-For Sale:

-set of GFS Dream 90s- gold and black pearl- $40 shipped in the cont. US

-(2) Celestion G12M-70 16 ohm guitar speakers in good condition $40 ea. + shipping.

- Vox VT15 Valvetronix very clean - $85 + shipping
Please use plain text.
Respected Contributor
guido61
Posts: 34,017
Registered: ‎12-09-2001

Re: Anybody here doing BLOWIN' SMOKE?


tlbonehead wrote:

on one hand it limits possibly, on another, it opens doors for venues that cater more in that direction.


I suppose.  I don't really know that many people who want to go out on a Saturday night to hear depressing lyrics, but I'm sure it's different in your neck of the woods?

--David
FOR SALE: DBX Driverack PX; DBX 231 EQ; Behringer Racktuner; Alesis D4 drum module; Line 6 Pod Pro rackmount.

Band website: http://www.JumpStartYourParty.com

https://www.facebook.com/JumpStartYourParty

http://www.gigmasters.com/Rock/Jump-Start/

Stage gear: Korg Kronos, Yamaha Motif, M-Audio Venom, Neo Ventilator, Digitech GSP-1101, Fender Stratocaster, Takamine Eg544SC, Samson SM10 line mixer, Alesis Picoverb, Samson Airline 77 Wireless, APC Smart-UPS SC 450VA
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
Posts: 68,648
Registered: ‎08-23-2001

Re: Anybody here doing BLOWIN' SMOKE?


guido61 wrote:

tlbonehead wrote:

on one hand it limits possibly, on another, it opens doors for venues that cater more in that direction.


I suppose.  I don't really know that many people who want to go out on a Saturday night to hear depressing lyrics, but I'm sure it's different in your neck of the woods?


no, I'm lying yet again. One person's "depressing" is another person's reflective, real, honest.

tlbonehead@yahoo.com

www.myspace.com/tbone_tommy

-For Sale:

-set of GFS Dream 90s- gold and black pearl- $40 shipped in the cont. US

-(2) Celestion G12M-70 16 ohm guitar speakers in good condition $40 ea. + shipping.

- Vox VT15 Valvetronix very clean - $85 + shipping
Please use plain text.
Respected Contributor
guido61
Posts: 34,017
Registered: ‎12-09-2001

Re: Anybody here doing BLOWIN' SMOKE?


tlbonehead wrote:

 One person's "depressing" is another person's reflective, real, honest.


Of course.   But is that something most people want to go out to a public venue to listen to with their friends and/or strangers on a weekend evening?

I've been as complimentary of her and her music as I can be.  I think she's great.  I think her songwriting is superb.  

I also think it would be a major "fail" for almost any live band.  Obviously, those bands within a 100-mile radius of Worthington, MN are the exception, of course.

 

--David
FOR SALE: DBX Driverack PX; DBX 231 EQ; Behringer Racktuner; Alesis D4 drum module; Line 6 Pod Pro rackmount.

Band website: http://www.JumpStartYourParty.com

https://www.facebook.com/JumpStartYourParty

http://www.gigmasters.com/Rock/Jump-Start/

Stage gear: Korg Kronos, Yamaha Motif, M-Audio Venom, Neo Ventilator, Digitech GSP-1101, Fender Stratocaster, Takamine Eg544SC, Samson SM10 line mixer, Alesis Picoverb, Samson Airline 77 Wireless, APC Smart-UPS SC 450VA
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
Posts: 68,648
Registered: ‎08-23-2001

Re: Anybody here doing BLOWIN' SMOKE?


guido61 wrote:

tlbonehead wrote:

 One person's "depressing" is another person's reflective, real, honest.


Of course.   But is that something most people want to go out to a public venue to listen to with their friends and/or strangers on a weekend evening?

I've been as complimentary of her and her music as I can be.  I think she's great.  I think her songwriting is superb.  

I also think it would be a major "fail" for almost any live band.  Obviously, those bands within a 100-mile radius of Worthington, MN are the exception, of course.

 


you continue to make no sense.

tlbonehead@yahoo.com

www.myspace.com/tbone_tommy

-For Sale:

-set of GFS Dream 90s- gold and black pearl- $40 shipped in the cont. US

-(2) Celestion G12M-70 16 ohm guitar speakers in good condition $40 ea. + shipping.

- Vox VT15 Valvetronix very clean - $85 + shipping
Please use plain text.
Respected Contributor
guido61
Posts: 34,017
Registered: ‎12-09-2001

Re: Anybody here doing BLOWIN' SMOKE?


tlbonehead wrote:

 


you continue to make no sense.


Depressing music isn't the type of stuff most people want to go out and hear on a Saturday night.  That isn't the type of music that generally packs venues, fills dance floors, and moves a lot of drinks and food across the bar.   Especially in a cover band situation.

What's so hard to make sense about that?

--David
FOR SALE: DBX Driverack PX; DBX 231 EQ; Behringer Racktuner; Alesis D4 drum module; Line 6 Pod Pro rackmount.

Band website: http://www.JumpStartYourParty.com

https://www.facebook.com/JumpStartYourParty

http://www.gigmasters.com/Rock/Jump-Start/

Stage gear: Korg Kronos, Yamaha Motif, M-Audio Venom, Neo Ventilator, Digitech GSP-1101, Fender Stratocaster, Takamine Eg544SC, Samson SM10 line mixer, Alesis Picoverb, Samson Airline 77 Wireless, APC Smart-UPS SC 450VA
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
Posts: 68,648
Registered: ‎08-23-2001

Re: Anybody here doing BLOWIN' SMOKE?


guido61 wrote:

tlbonehead wrote:

 


you continue to make no sense.


Depressing music isn't the type of stuff most people want to go out and hear on a Saturday night.  That isn't the type of music that generally packs venues, fills dance floors, and moves a lot of drinks and food across the bar.   Especially in a cover band situation.

What's so hard to make sense about that?


if you say so.

tlbonehead@yahoo.com

www.myspace.com/tbone_tommy

-For Sale:

-set of GFS Dream 90s- gold and black pearl- $40 shipped in the cont. US

-(2) Celestion G12M-70 16 ohm guitar speakers in good condition $40 ea. + shipping.

- Vox VT15 Valvetronix very clean - $85 + shipping
Please use plain text.
Respected Contributor
guido61
Posts: 34,017
Registered: ‎12-09-2001

Re: Anybody here doing BLOWIN' SMOKE?


tlbonehead wrote:

if you say so.


Of course, you and your area are the exception?

So why say I make no sense if you agree with me?

--David
FOR SALE: DBX Driverack PX; DBX 231 EQ; Behringer Racktuner; Alesis D4 drum module; Line 6 Pod Pro rackmount.

Band website: http://www.JumpStartYourParty.com

https://www.facebook.com/JumpStartYourParty

http://www.gigmasters.com/Rock/Jump-Start/

Stage gear: Korg Kronos, Yamaha Motif, M-Audio Venom, Neo Ventilator, Digitech GSP-1101, Fender Stratocaster, Takamine Eg544SC, Samson SM10 line mixer, Alesis Picoverb, Samson Airline 77 Wireless, APC Smart-UPS SC 450VA
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
Potts
Posts: 3,869
Registered: ‎05-01-2012

Re: Anybody here doing BLOWIN' SMOKE?


guido61 wrote:

tlbonehead wrote:

 


you continue to make no sense.


Depressing music isn't the type of stuff most people want to go out and hear on a Saturday night.  That isn't the type of music that generally packs venues, fills dance floors, and moves a lot of drinks and food across the bar.   Especially in a cover band situation.

What's so hard to make sense about that?


 

I've been agreeing with David (which is not the norm)quite a bit lately. It seems it's mostly threads with tbone in them.  That may tell us something. It's nothing personal dude- you just come across as one of those people that ALWAYS takes the opposite stand on everything. it gets pretty old. 

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
SLScott86
Posts: 1,051
Registered: ‎07-01-2011

Re: Anybody here doing BLOWIN' SMOKE?

I love me some depressing music, but I agree as well. You've got to keep people there, so you've gotta keep them awake, so it helps to keep them active. I have to check myself on this quite a bit.
Free prog-related metal from Michigan.

http://www.silentlapse.com
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
Posts: 68,648
Registered: ‎08-23-2001

Re: Anybody here doing BLOWIN' SMOKE?


Potts wrote:

guido61 wrote:

tlbonehead wrote:

 


you continue to make no sense.


Depressing music isn't the type of stuff most people want to go out and hear on a Saturday night.  That isn't the type of music that generally packs venues, fills dance floors, and moves a lot of drinks and food across the bar.   Especially in a cover band situation.

What's so hard to make sense about that?


 

I've been agreeing with David (which is not the norm)quite a bit lately. It seems it's mostly threads with tbone in them.  That may tell us something. It's nothing personal dude- you just come across as one of those people that ALWAYS takes the opposite stand on everything. it gets pretty old. 


certainly not the case. Its probably just that same old thing where it never gets noticed otherwise. Of course, I just disagreed with you!  :smileyhappy:

tlbonehead@yahoo.com

www.myspace.com/tbone_tommy

-For Sale:

-set of GFS Dream 90s- gold and black pearl- $40 shipped in the cont. US

-(2) Celestion G12M-70 16 ohm guitar speakers in good condition $40 ea. + shipping.

- Vox VT15 Valvetronix very clean - $85 + shipping
Please use plain text.