Super Contributor

Bad Cat amps - any opinions?

Hi all,

Don't seem to read much about Bad Cat amps round here. Anyone have any experience with them? I may be able to acquire one of the low-watt ones for not a lot, and am quite tempted, seeing as I just don't get along with my Champ 600 (because it's rubbish...)

I dare not go into the amp forum, so does anyone here have an opinion?
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
GAS Man

Re: Bad Cat amps - any opinions?

Hi all,

Don't seem to read much about Bad Cat amps round here. Anyone have any experience with them? I may be able to acquire one of the low-watt ones for not a lot, and am quite tempted, seeing as I just don't get along with my Champ 600 (because it's rubbish...)

I dare not go into the amp forum, so does anyone here have an opinion?

Most folks here don't pony up that much for an amp, but I've read an occasional stellar review of Bad Cat amps here from time to time. Generally regarded as a boutique quality amp company.
A '57 Classic, MIJ from USA parts.
HCEG Existentialism: I buy guitars, therefore, I am.
"Well Dick, it's got a good beat, and I could dance to it, so I give it a 10!" .........
"I have opinions of my own –strong opinions– but I don’t always agree with them."
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
hardtdc

If I wasn't a cheap SOB I'd own one in a heartbeat (if that tells you anything).:thu:
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
GAS Man

http://www.wildwestguitars.com/badcathome.htm#minicat
A '57 Classic, MIJ from USA parts.
HCEG Existentialism: I buy guitars, therefore, I am.
"Well Dick, it's got a good beat, and I could dance to it, so I give it a 10!" .........
"I have opinions of my own –strong opinions– but I don’t always agree with them."
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
unit11

I was under the impression that people around here liked Bad Cat... at least if they could afford to own one! :rolleyes:

Guitars : Gibson LP Special SL Humbuckers / Fender MIM Deluxe Active Jazz
Effects : BBE Green Screamer, EHX LPB-1, Dunlop CryBaby 535q, EHX #1 Echo / BBE Green Screamer
Amp : Orange Tiny Terror into 5150 slant cab / Orange Terror Bass into Orange SP 212 cab

Proud Member #46 of the Orange Tiny Terror Club

120 db : Rock concert (with, of course, 1-2 hour duration)
...And its only safe to listen to 115 dB for about 15 minutes. Earplugs sound good yet?
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor

Those amplifiers are much too expensive for anyone that regularly posts here, myself included.
Good HCFX deals w/ putz1337, GhostLunch, Jules-RM, Califa, paramnesia, kurais, chuckmehh, swampgfox, wmwise, christianatl, abouttreefitty
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor

Amazing amps! Effing expensive though. I'd prob buy and AC30 and be really happy.
Live to play LIVE

Proud member of the Jet Setters (Jet City Lounge)

My Rig:
Jet City JCA2112RC

TU-2 > V-847 > ST2 > Route 808 > DD-3

Epi Les Paul Std+ (BG dark set)
Epi '56 Les Paul Goldtop
Warmoth Musiclander (Invader/'59)

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
GreatDane

i have a classic cat 1x12" combo and it's my #1 recording and live amp. I love it.
INTERNET stands for: Inter-connected Network of Tools Endlessly Regurgitating Negatively Energized Tantrums
My Guitars | ... but can he play? | Currently a Gold Trader +6
meandi restoring my Les Paul!

Use extreme caution when attempting to interact or transact with IndianScout.
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor

I own the mini cat. Awesome amo though the 10" Jensen alnico cant really handle the amp full tilt. A little too loose and flubby.
Lots of stuff

Good deals with: Townshend, FireInCairo, highway_61, orangesix, ajympt, natasmi (2x), Billy Budapest, Steve Man,flummox

member of the sg army
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
Tezmond

I'd have one in a heart beat, but like everyone else, its just too much dough,
member of the sg army

in alliance with the mazi bee militia

"we rock the world"

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor

Awesome amps, I have tried to buy one multiple times, you would not believe how hard it is to get one in Canada if you dont live out West..... :smileysad:

acoustic rig: Larrivee D-50, Stonebridge 32SM OM, Takamine EAC48 Santa Fe, Takamine John Jorgenson, Takamine EC132S Roland AC60

electric rig:
guitars: ESP CS strat, AJC LP, Ibanez RG1570, Godin Redline1,
amps: Dr Z Z-28 head, Mesa F-30 head, Dr Z 2x10 convertible, Mesa Recto 2x12
effects: EBVPJr, Korg Pitchblack, EHX English Muff'n, Diamond Fireburst, Diamond Compressor, Barber Burn Unit EQ, Maxon Phasetone, DLS Chorus Vib, EHX SMMH, Hardwire DL8, EHX Holier Grail
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
Morganbich

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR8G2mgx1ZI&feature=c4-overview&list=UUAHVaYMJ1v6uAOmDEBQgQ2w 

The Bad Cat Cougar seems to be Chatreeo's head of choice lately

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
1001gear

Make a good drum solo. I didn't know Bad Cat did hi gain. I was expecting Matchless type tones. I guess tubes will go wherever they're pushed.

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
Visconti

tubedrt wrote:
I own the mini cat. Awesome amo though the 10" Jensen alnico cant really handle the amp full tilt. A little too loose and flubby.

I played thru the very first proto type of the Classic Cat around 2004 and I have known Bad Cat owner James Heidrich since 2002. He is a great guy and the Bad Cat amps are built like tanks with point to point wiring. I have played thru many Bad Cat amps and they all sound great. The Clasic Cat is a great pedal platform. I live just a couple of miles from where Bad Cats are made.

Disclaimer: My threads and posts are created to allow forum members to discuss interesting subject matter.

I reserve the right to change my decisions at anytime.
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
Visconti

1001gear wrote:

Make a good drum solo. I didn't know Bad Cat did hi gain. I was expecting Matchless type tones. I guess tubes will go wherever they're pushed.

Their high gain amp is the Hot Cat. Bad ass.

hot cat.jpg

Disclaimer: My threads and posts are created to allow forum members to discuss interesting subject matter.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
kayd_mon

My only real exposure to Bad Cat amps is going to Porcupine Tree shows. Steven Wilson uses them live, and I must be honest - his guitar tone is better on record (he uses all computer program modelers in the studio). Not a very good selling point for Bad Cat, given their high price tag, but I'm sure you can sound good with them as with any other product.
Guitars: 3 Fender Strats, Fender Jazzmaster, Squier Bullet, 2 Gibson Les Pauls, Gibson ES-339, Gibson Les Paul Jr. Special, Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone Dot, Epiphone SG, PRS SE Custom 24, Ibanez AS73, Hamer Duotone, Larrivee D-03R, Takamine EG5013S, 1951 Epiphone Devon, Ibanez SR305 (bass)

Pedal Chain: BBE Green Screamer -> MXR Distortion III -> Boss CE-5 -> EH Stereo Pulsar -> Boss DD-20 -> BBE Boosta Grande

Amps: Vox AC4, AC15, AC30, Pathfinder 10, DA5

SoundCloud
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor

Meow, hiss hiss, claw claw, chomp chomp hiss hiss, meow!

"You people keep on raining. I'll still be the parade." - Diamond Dave.

TO HEAR MY COUNTRY BAND: ADRIAN RAY, click THIS or this

Official endorsee of:
Breedlove Guitars:
http://www.ghsstrings.com/
http://www.rocktron.com/frameset1.html
http://www.monsterenergy.com/
Myspace.com-Dave Aronow http://www.myspace.com/davearonow

kayd_mon wrote:
My only real exposure to Bad Cat amps is going to Porcupine Tree shows. Steven Wilson uses them live, and I must be honest - his guitar tone is better on record (he uses all computer program modelers in the studio). Not a very good selling point for Bad Cat, given their high price tag, but I'm sure you can sound good with them as with any other product.

Bad Cat amps are organic sounding and digital amps sound like digital.

Bad Cat Hot Cat 30 watter.

inside.jpg

tube.jpg

Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
Visconti

DaveAronow wrote:

Meow, hiss hiss, claw claw, chomp chomp hiss hiss, meow!

Why do you play Breedlove Guitars? You should play an Ovation or a Rainsong.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
kayd_mon

@visconti

Marketing terms only, dude. Which actually sounds better? If you're Steven Wilson, 0001000101010 beats glass tubes. Listen to the records, live and studio, or go to the show to find out.
Guitars: 3 Fender Strats, Fender Jazzmaster, Squier Bullet, 2 Gibson Les Pauls, Gibson ES-339, Gibson Les Paul Jr. Special, Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone Dot, Epiphone SG, PRS SE Custom 24, Ibanez AS73, Hamer Duotone, Larrivee D-03R, Takamine EG5013S, 1951 Epiphone Devon, Ibanez SR305 (bass)

Pedal Chain: BBE Green Screamer -> MXR Distortion III -> Boss CE-5 -> EH Stereo Pulsar -> Boss DD-20 -> BBE Boosta Grande

Amps: Vox AC4, AC15, AC30, Pathfinder 10, DA5

SoundCloud
Please use plain text.